Initiatives / Racial Equity Seed Fund / Grants
Applications for the 2021-2022 Racial Equity Seed Fund are closed.
Race cannot continue to predict educational outcomes for our students in Boston. Edvestors has reimagined our Seed Fund to focus explicitly on advancing racial equity. Working in partnership with students, families, schools, community organizations, and Boston Public Schools, we aim to build an action-based learning community to implement, test, and scale solutions developed by those most impacted in schools to advance racial equity.
In our pilot year, we are directly supporting 9 schools and 6 community organizations, each receiving $10,000 to support implementation of racial equity projects including providing stipends for students and family participation on School Equity Round Table Teams.
The Racial Equity in Education Review Panel is the external grant recommendation committee, consisting of 12 educators, BPS administrators, community organization leaders, higher education partners, and Edvestors board members who volunteer their time and expertise to participate in the annual proposal review process.
Panel members work with Edvestors staff to independently review proposals, discuss them as a group, and recommend initiatives to move forward in Edvestors’ grant selection process. The panelists provide Edvestors with diverse perspectives to inform our grantmaking decisions. Thank you to the 2021-2022 Racial Equity in Education Review Panel members:
- Dr. Hardin Coleman, Professor, Wheelock College of Education & Human Development
- Dr. Sarah Faude, Director of Research and Evaluation, YW Boston
- Dr. Charles Grandson, Chief Equity & Strategy Officer, Boston Public Schools
- Lorena Lopera, Executive Director of Massachusetts, Latinos for Education
- Dr. Kenann McKenzie, Director, BU Wheelock Aspire Institute
- Rodolfo Morales, Principal, Phineas Bates Elementary School
- Devin Morris, Co-Founder, The Teachers’ Lounge
- Eugene Roundtree, Headmaster, Snowden International High School
- Velecia Saunders, Disproportionality Specialist, Boston Public Schools
- Becky Shuster, Assistant Superintendent of Equity, Boston Public Schools
- Artis Street, Senior Academy Team Leader, Jeremiah E. Burke High School
- Shakera Ford Walker, Director of Professional Learning, Boston Public Schools