ZEROING IN ON MATH DATA INTERN
Over two thirds of Boston eighth graders are not proficient in math. This is a quiet crisis in Boston schools as math proficiency indicates student readiness for high school academics, forms the foundation of skills for STEM study, and predicts post-secondary success. In 2015 we set out to address this middle grades math crisis by launching Zeroing in on Math, a multi-year, citywide initiative.
Three strategies guide our work:
- Improve student math proficiency in grades 3-8 by closing student knowledge and skill gaps
- Deepen effective math instruction by strengthening teacher math knowledge and pedagogy
- Build a citywide community of math advocates
In 2018-2019 we worked with 140 teachers across 19 schools serving over 3,800 students. Zeroing in on Math is showing promising results. Thus far, on average, participating students have gained three to five additional months of learning beyond the year of expected progress (based on the STAR Assessment).
The Zeroing in on Math Data Intern will support the detailed compilation and analysis of student and teacher level data for 19 schools and approximately 3,800 students participating in the program during the 2018-2019 school year. After analyzing the data, the intern will help in making the data accessible for internal decision-making and user-friendly for a broad audience. The Data Intern will work directly with the Director of Zeroing in on Math and the Manager of Data and Evaluation.
The Zeroing in on Math Data Intern will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Compiling data from multiple sources (student-level assessments, teacher assessments) for the 19 participating ZioM schools.
- Preparing data into formats ready for analysis, including data clean-up and merging
- Converting data into charts and graphs that will aid in analysis and decision-making.
- Identifying success and challenge areas brought to light by the data.
- Creating user-friendly formats to present the data to school partners and a broader audience.
- Strong data analysis skills using Excel. Other database experience a plus.
- Ability to learn about data sources quickly and apply that knowledge to analyze data effectively.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Willingness to function as a member of a small, fast-paced, and high-functioning team in a collaborative environment.
- Mature interpersonal style with a sense of humor and the ability to interact with a diverse range of people.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Interest in urban school reform.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Availability for 20-40 hours/week from August to November, dates and hours negotiable. Flexibility to work around a school schedule.
This is a paid internship opportunity.
Please email a resume and cover letter, in Word format, outlining how your skills and interests meet the qualifications of the position and detailing your summer availability to Amy Luster at email@example.com, subject line “Zeroing in on Math Intern.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with preference for those received before August 15.
EdVestors is an equal opportunity employer. At EdVestors, we strive to maintain an inclusive, flexible and diverse work environment, and our team is made stronger by the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within our staff.