EdVestors advances equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their futures. EdVestors invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President, Programs, Strategy & Impact, a newly organized role. Reporting to the CEO, the new VP will provide program oversight and be a key leader in articulating and executing strategies related to evaluating and communicating organizational impact and influencing system change.
EdVestors was founded in 2002 as a platform to connect Boston philanthropists with the city’s public schools by identifying, shaping, and matching donors with promising improvement efforts. EdVestors’ work has evolved to couple mobilizing resources with implementation support and thought leadership to pursue our goals. Throughout, our commitment to the city’s schools and students has remained constant.
Our mission is to advance equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their future. We drive toward our mission by 1) activating people and resources, 2) learning and iterating in context, and 3) influencing system change. We believe that continuously attending to all three drivers ensures our programs and initiatives – the School on the Move Prize, School Solutions Seed Fund, Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion, Zeroing in on Math, and Career Pathways – will create impact.
We focus our work in Boston Public Schools and since our founding, have raised and invested over $35 million in our city’s public schools. The relationships we’ve built and our track record of effectiveness have solidified our critical role as a trusted partner and thought leader in Boston. Our position grants us access to the decision makers impacting Boston schools and students, enabling us to advocate for system-wide change.
EdVestors offers a supportive and flexible work environment with a collaborative team of colleagues. Our values drive our efforts and shape our relationships with each other and our partners.
- Just – We aim to advance racial equity in our organization, schools, and communities, as we continue to learn about and interrogate white supremacy culture and systemic racism. We commit to thoughtfully assessing our role in upholding systems of oppression, to working in community toward mutual accountability, and to remaining optimistic as we pursue equity in education for our
- In Community – We care for our colleagues and We believe the greatest potential for impact comes from working together and that success flows from listening, learning, and working in community.
- Thoughtful – We are reflective, critical, and We are sensitive to the needs and aspirations of those we work with and carefully consider the impact of our actions.
- Committed – We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of Boston We invest in sustainable practices that create deep, meaningful, and long-lasting impact.
- Optimistic – We believe that an equitable future for our students and ourselves is We bring joy, hope, and a desire to be better to the circumstances that challenge us.
This is an extraordinary opportunity to join EdVestors as it begins the implementation of its ambitious new strategic plan. The new VP will drive overall organizational evidence-based and strategic communication efforts that leverage the body of knowledge, relationships and trust EdVestors has built in the Boston education landscape to advance equity and impact at the system level. Working with a talented, collaborative team, the VP, Programs, Strategy & Impact will also oversee three program areas, providing thought partnership, guidance and support to program staff on program development, implementation, assessment and budget management. The VP, Programs, Strategy & Impact will bring a racial equity lens to all their work including external strategy and communications and internal program and organizational leadership. As a member of the senior leadership team, the VP Programs, Strategy & Impact will contribute to overall organizational development, ensuring that EdVestors remains a vibrant, inclusive, impactful learning organization.
Responsibilities will include:
- Integrate organizational strategy across EdVestors, serving as key advisor to CEO and Board on strategic options and direction
- Scan the landscape for new opportunities for program impact and collaboration
- Work closely with CEO, Management Team and program directors to create and implement short-term and long-term strategic goals; aligning efforts of the organization with new strategic plan, coaching program directors to transition programs and align resources
- Identify needs, develop action plans and oversee implementation and monitoring of organization-wide strategy
- Develop a system for tracking and reporting on the progress of the strategic plan implementation and outcome measures related to key strategy goals
- Seek new funding opportunities and communicate and steward existing philanthropic support in collaboration with the CEO and Development team
- Develop and maintain a network of key leaders in the education landscape in Boston, including K12 school leaders, district and charter leaders, and nonprofit leaders and funders
- Keep up-to-date on key issues and policies in K12 education at the district, state and national levels
Impact and Communications
- Oversee organizational learning, evidence, evaluation, and dissemination, spotlighting positive examples of educational improvement with potential for replication and system impact
- Expand the methods, platforms and channels used to engage stakeholders
- Promote EdVestors’ strategy, programs and impact through writing, speaking, convening, networking, and employing innovative communication approaches to shine a light on EdVestors’ work and advance its mission
- Guide organizational strategic communication efforts, including messaging and positioning to ensure alignment with organizational strategy
- Identify and implement new approaches to influence system-level policy and decision-making
- Oversee three programs: School on the Move prize, Zeroing in on Math and Career Pathways
- Lead the development of new programs and the continuous improvement of current programs in response to the organization’s strategy as well as opportunities in the landscape, all with a racial equity lens
- Organize monthly Education Team meetings to foster alignment across program teams and opportunities to learn and share best practices
- Collaborate on strategic efforts with program directors and team members, engaging and stewarding relationships with external stakeholders and key partners critical to the work
- Determine the effectiveness and sustainability of programs through on-going assessment and evaluation; analyze quantitative and qualitative data to inform program decisions
- Serve as a key member of four-member Management Team which makes decisions regarding organization budget & finance, staffing, and strategic direction
- Participate in all Governing Board and Executive Committee meetings, keeping board members abreast of current programs and new opportunities
- Foster a culture of learning that builds the capacity of colleagues as they incorporate new methods of planning, assessment, and continual improvement into their work
- Be a catalyst for change and growth, inspiring others to think entrepreneurially and inject new ideas to evolve programs or solve problems
- Lead, coach, develop and retain program directors and managers providing formal and informal feedback and identifying professional growth and leadership opportunities for staff
EdVestors seeks a highly qualified and entrepreneurial professional, with a strong track record of leading teams to accomplish goals, to provide strategic direction, leadership, creativity, and management. The ideal candidate will have:
- At least 10 years of leadership experience in a mission-driven organization
- A deep commitment to EdVestors’ mission of advancing racial equity in public education in Boston, alignment with EdVestors values, and a desire to be part of a team that is committed to growth and learning related to racial equity
- A deep understanding of K12 education and education trends, especially in large, complex, urban settings
- Experience in program development, management (including budget development and management) and impact assessment
- Strong strategic and systems-thinking approach with deep critical thinking analytical skills
- Experience developing innovative methods, platforms and channels to engage stakeholders
- Substantial experience developing, motivating, and managing individuals and teams
- A partner focused orientation with the ability to cultivate and navigate relationships with a range of program partners, funders, and policy makers at all levels
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate EdVestors’ mission, vision, values, and impact to diverse groups
- A continuous improvement mindset with creativity in problem solving and comfort with change and ambiguity
- Dynamic interpersonal skills with a sense of humor and optimism about the work
Edvestors offers a generous benefits package. The expected hiring range for this position is 125K-135K.
Sage Search Partners is assisting EdVestors with this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications (cover letter and resume) can be directed to Paula Fazli, Managing Partner, email@example.com
EdVestors is an equal opportunity employer. At EdVestors, we strive to maintain an inclusive, flexible and diverse work environment, and our team is made stronger by the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within our staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function