Director, Zeroing in on Math
EdVestors advances equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their futures. EdVestors invites nominations and applications for the position of Director, Zeroing in on Math. Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, Strategy & Impact, the Director will serve as a key program leader as EdVestors implements an ambitious new strategic plan.
EdVestors was founded in 2002 as a platform to connect Boston philanthropists with the city’s public schools by identifying, shaping, and matching donors with promising improvement efforts. EdVestors’ work has evolved to couple mobilizing resources with implementation support and thought leadership to pursue our goals. Throughout, our commitment to the city’s schools and students has remained constant.
Our mission is to advance equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their future. We drive toward our mission by 1) activating people and resources, 2) learning and iterating in context, and 3) influencing system change. We believe that continuously attending to all three drivers ensures our programs and initiatives – the School on the Move Prize, School Solutions Seed Fund, Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion, Zeroing in on Math, and Career Pathways – will create impact.
We focus our work in Boston Public Schools (BPS) and since our founding, have raised and invested over $35 million in our city’s public schools. The relationships we’ve built and our track record of effectiveness have solidified our critical role as a trusted partner and thought leader in Boston. Our position grants us access to the decision makers impacting Boston schools and students, enabling us to advocate for system-wide change.
EdVestors offers a supportive and flexible work environment with a collaborative team of colleagues. Our values drive our efforts and shape our relationships with each other and our partners.
- Just – We aim to advance racial equity in our organization, schools, and communities, as we continue to learn about and interrogate white supremacy culture and systemic racism. We commit to thoughtfully assessing our role in upholding systems of oppression, to working in community toward mutual accountability, and to remaining optimistic as we pursue equity in education for our students.
- In Community – We care for our colleagues and community. We believe the greatest potential for impact comes from working together and that success flows from listening, learning, and working in community.
- Thoughtful – We are reflective, critical, and responsive. We are sensitive to the needs and aspirations of those we work with and carefully consider the impact of our actions.
- Committed – We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of Boston students. We invest in sustainable practices that create deep, meaningful, and long-lasting impact.
- Optimistic – We believe that an equitable future for our students and ourselves is possible. We bring joy, hope, and a desire to be better to the circumstances that challenge us.
About Zeroing in on Math (ZioM)
In 2015, EdVestors launched Zeroing in on Math (ZioM), a multi-year, citywide initiative. Our goal is to increase equitable enrollment and student success so that all students, especially our Black and Latinx students, receive a meaningful math education that is affirming, relevant, and prepares them for postsecondary opportunities. To ensure a meaningful math education for Boston students, we are:
- Convening a diverse group of stakeholders to create and align on a vision of equitable math instruction for students, teachers, schools, and partners in Boston that enables the system to reimagine and rebuild math learning for the future;
- Scaling educator best practices within and across schools through the Math is for Everyone cohort;
- Streamlining and clarifying the math pathways in BPS with emphasis on equitable access to math course pathways; and
- Aligning with district priorities to build stakeholders’ capacity to examine racism and injustice in the math classroom and at a systemic level.
During ZioM’s first six years, EdVestors invested in technology-based math interventions with the intent to meet students where they were at and accelerate their math achievement. Building on what we have learned, we are crafting a revised multi-year ZioM strategy aligned to our mission, values and strategic framework.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the ZioM team as it refines and evolves its strategy in alignment with EdVestors’ ambitious new strategic plan. Working with a talented and collaborative team, the Director will drive overall program strategy and implementation. The Director will bring a racial equity lens to all aspects of the work, including external strategy and partnership and internal program leadership.
The Director will be responsible for the following key areas:
- Lead the ZioM team in determining program iterations, strategic directions, and impact opportunities aligned with EdVestors’ strategic plan and commitment to racial equity
- Cultivate and sustain partnerships with district leaders, school leaders, and other key stakeholders to advance program goals
- Engage a diverse set of stakeholders (e.g., educators, students, families, school leaders, etc.) to inform planning and decision making around strategy and program development
- Serve as an internal and external thought leader on key issues and policies related to mathematics education, culturally responsive teaching, and other areas relevant to the ZioM strategy
- Leverage the collective knowledge from EdVestors’ prior and current work (e.g., including on-the-ground experiences, feedback from school partners and other key stakeholders, and internal and external evaluations) to inform program design and implementation, with a specific focus on system-level impact
- Collaborate with the VP of Programs, Strategy & Impact to convene and facilitate the ZioM Advisory Board, a group that offers guidance, expertise, and visibility for the work
Planning and Implementation
- Direct all aspects of ZioM, including:
- Leading the design and implementation of the Math is for Everyone cohort
- Partnering with mathematics leaders from BPS and other key stakeholders to realize a district-wide vision for equitable mathematics practices and outcomes
- Facilitating and implementing annual ZioM grantmaking, providing grants management and technical support to grantees and applicants
- Ensure that all aspects of ZioM program work reflect a commitment to racial equity
- Manage the day-to-day work of the ZioM team, including planning and facilitating team meetings, communicating with internal and external stakeholders, and providing regular updates of progress toward program goals
- Support school partnerships tailored to schools’ goals and needs through regular meetings with school leadership and/or grade level teams
- Work with colleagues to design and deliver engaging and effective professional development and learning opportunities for teachers within and across schools
- Set project-level goals and metrics and use data to inform program planning and implementation
- Supervise and coach staff and external consultants, including giving regular feedback, conducting formal reviews, and providing meaningful learning and growth opportunities
Management and Organizational Development
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organization to advance program and organizational priorities
- Initiate, organize, and participate in team and staff activities that contribute to organizational culture in keeping with organizational values
- Develop and oversee the annual budget in consultation with the Director of Finance & Operations and VP of Programs, Strategy and Impact
- Participate in fundraising strategies and efforts related to ZioM and support development efforts in the submission of funding proposals and reports to donors in partnership with the Development team
- Participate in other organization-wide efforts as needed
EdVestors is seeking a team-oriented leader and manager with experience designing and implementing mathematics strategies that lead to equitable outcomes for students. The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in mathematics education (preferably as a teacher or with deep knowledge about teaching) with demonstrated success leading toward equitable outcomes for students
- A strong understanding of key issues and promising practices in K12 mathematics education, especially in large, complex, urban settings
- Strong facilitation skills, specifically for groups of adults engaged in peer learning and collaborative strategy design
- Experience developing resources and/or providing coaching to support culturally affirming and culturally responsive mathematics instruction
- Strong relationship-building skills and a partner-focused orientation, with an ability to cultivate and navigate partnerships with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- A systems-thinking orientation, with an ability to think critically and translate program-level successes to system-level strategies
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with careful attention to detail in the midst of uncertainty
- Team leadership experience, with an ability to set a vision, establish clear goals, monitor progress, and cultivate a positive culture
- Experience developing, motivating, and managing individuals and teams
- Experience in program development, management (including budget development and management), and evaluation
- A deep commitment to EdVestors’ mission of advancing racial equity in public education in Boston, alignment with EdVestors values, and a desire to be part of a team that is committed to growth and learning related to racial equity
- A sense of humor and optimism about the work
EdVestors offers a generous benefits package. Benefits include:
- Great Back Bay location near public transportation;
- Paid time off: 3 weeks vacation, in addition to holidays and sick days; and
- Medical and dental insurance, 401k plan and match after one-year, life insurance, and disability benefits.
The expected hiring range for this position is $80,000-90,000.
Please direct your cover letter and resume to Francisco Marriott at email@example.com. Include the position title and your last name in the subject line of the email. Applications will be reviewed as received.
EdVestors is an equal opportunity employer. At EdVestors, we strive to maintain an inclusive, flexible and diverse work environment, and our team is made stronger by the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within our staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.