EdVestors advances equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their futures. EdVestors invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Finance & Operations, a newly organized role reporting to the CEO. This is an extraordinary opportunity to join EdVestors as it begins implementation of its ambitious strategic plan.
EdVestors was founded in 2002 as a platform to connect Boston philanthropists with the city’s public schools by identifying, shaping, and matching donors with promising improvement efforts. EdVestors’ work has evolved to couple mobilizing resources with implementation support and thought leadership to pursue our goals. Throughout, our commitment to the city’s schools and students has remained constant.
Our mission is to advance equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their future. We drive toward our mission by 1) activating people and resources, 2) learning and iterating in context, and 3) influencing system change. We believe that continuously attending to all three drivers ensures our programs and initiatives – the School on the Move Prize, School Solutions Seed Fund, Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion, Zeroing in on Math, and Career Pathways – will create impact.
We focus our work in Boston Public Schools and since our founding, have raised and invested over $35 million in our city’s schools. The relationships we’ve built and our track record of effectiveness have solidified our critical role as a trusted partner and thought leader in Boston. Our position grants us access to the decision makers impacting Boston schools and students, enabling us to advocate for system-wide change.
EdVestors offers a supportive and flexible work environment with a collaborative team of colleagues. Our values drive our efforts and shape our relationships with each other and our partners.
- Just – We aim to advance racial equity in our organization, schools, and communities, as we continue to learn about and interrogate white supremacy culture and systemic racism. We commit to thoughtfully assessing our role in upholding systems of oppression, to working in community toward mutual accountability, and to remaining optimistic as we pursue equity in education for our
- In Community – We care for our colleagues and community. We believe the greatest potential for impact comes from working together and that success flows from listening, learning, and working in
- Thoughtful – We are reflective, critical, and responsive. We are sensitive to the needs and aspirations of those we work with and carefully consider the impact of our
- Committed – We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of Boston students. We invest in sustainable practices that create deep, meaningful, and long-lasting
- Optimistic – We believe that an equitable future for our students and ourselves is possible. We bring joy, hope, and a desire to be better to the circumstances that challenge
Reporting to the CEO & President (CEO) and working with the EdVestors’ management team, the Director of Finance and Operations plays a critical role in the efficient and effective management of the overall organization, including responsibility for budgeting and finance, human resources, and general operations. As a member of a highly entrepreneurial team, the Director of Finance & Operations provides day-to-day oversight for the smooth functioning of the organization, as well as strategic long-term budgeting and organizational planning. To achieve these goals, the Director of Finance and Operations supervises EdVestors coordinator staff focused on finance and operations as well as the organization’s outsourced finance, operations, and HR providers The Director of Finance & Operations will play an important role in implementing recently completed EdVestors’ Strategic Plan and bring a racial equity lens to the internal financial budgeting, human resources and operational approaches of the organization aligned with our mission, values and strategies.
As Director of Finance and Operations, responsibilities will include:
- Manage all aspects of EdVestors’ budgeting and finance, working closely with the organization’s outsourced financial services firm and the CEO and management team
- Review monthly financial reports on a timely basis for internal use and presentation to the EdVestors’ Governing Board and Executive/Finance Committee
- Review and oversee the receivable and payable processes including weekly invoice processing with the Finance Coordinator
- Meet with the outsourced financial manager on a weekly basis and develop a work plan for outsourced manager and bookkeepers
- Manage EdVestors’bank accounts and the stewardship of grant funds. Provide appropriate stewardship of donor funds in coordination with CEO, and Development team
- Develop annual budget in concert with staff and Management team. Prepare annual budget for Board approval, well as bi-monthly financial reports for Executive Committee and Board
- Coordinate and oversee the organization’s annual financial audit
- Work with the development team on revenue forecasting and timely receipt of expected funds for cash management
- Provide budget scenarios and financial modeling to support program managers and funding proposals, as well as the organization’s long-range and strategic planning needs
- Advise the management team on financial, personnel or other administrative policies
- Identify new office space, negotiate lease, and oversee relocation to new space in
- Negotiate contracts with and supervise Operations Coordinator to manage all outside vendors, including outsourced technology and human resources, leased office equipment, and phone & internet providers
- Manage relationship with building management to resolve any issues related to office space with support of the Operations Coordinator
- Provide leadership around technology and organization efficiencies including technology and human resource systems. Oversee the purchasing and maintenance of office equipment, computers and furniture with the finance and operations coordinators
- Review and manage the organization’s insurance needs
- Oversee and maintain all human resource activities in coordination with the CEO and management team serving as in-house contact related to staff HR and benefit needs
- In partnership with the management team, promote activities that foster a professional learning environment, engagement, and support a culture of equity and inclusion
- Manage on-boarding and orientation of new staff with the Operations Coordinator, and hiring process for new employees
- Oversee the bookkeeper’s submission of payroll and employee time-off documentation
- Manage an effective employee evaluation and professional development plan. In coordination with the management team, ensure that staff receives timely mentoring and training support
- With the outside human resources consultant, regularly review and update employee benefit plan, investigate and recommend changes or additions to the plan
EdVestors is seeking a team-oriented leader and manager with experience overseeing finance and administrative functions, ideally in a mission-driven organization. Successful candidates will have:
- Several years of financial and operations management experience, preferably within an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization
- Strong technical and analytical skills with the ability to build financial models and forecasts
- Outstanding project management and organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with meticulous attention to detail
- A flexible mindset and a track record of creative problem solving, taking initiative, and bringing continuous improvement approach
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under deadlines and tight timelines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Flexible and adaptive; willing to work collaboratively with a team in a fast-paced environment
- Sensitivity in working with confidential materials
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a, sense of humor and optimistic approach about the work
- Passion for education and an interest in EdVestors work preferred
EdVestors offers a generous benefits package. The expected hiring range for this position is 95K-105K.
Sage Search Partners is assisting EdVestors with this search. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications (cover letter and resume) can be directed to Paula Fazli, Managing Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org
EdVestors is an equal opportunity employer. At EdVestors, we strive to maintain an inclusive, flexible and diverse work environment, and our team is made stronger by the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within our staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.