EdVestors advances equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their futures. EdVestors invites nominations and applications for the position of Development Manager. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for External Relations, the Manager will help fulfill the department goals of bringing higher visibility to the organization and increasing the diversity of EdVestors’ funding portfolio from institutional and individual funders, while managing the development operations
EdVestors was founded in 2002 as a platform to connect Boston philanthropists with the city’s public schools by identifying, shaping, and matching donors with promising improvement efforts. EdVestors’ work has evolved to couple mobilizing resources with implementation support and thought leadership to pursue our goals. Throughout, our commitment to the city’s schools and students has remained constant.
Our mission is to advance equitable, meaningful education that prepares every Boston student to activate their power and shape their future. We drive toward our mission by 1) activating people and resources, 2) learning and iterating in context, and 3) influencing system change. We believe that continuously attending to all three drivers ensures our programs and initiatives – the School on the Move Prize, School Solutions Seed Fund, Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion, Zeroing in on Math, and Career Pathways – will create impact.
We focus our work in Boston Public Schools and since our founding, have raised and invested over $35 million in our city’s public schools. The relationships we’ve built and our track record of effectiveness have solidified our critical role as a trusted partner and thought leader in Boston. Our position grants us access to the decision makers impacting Boston schools and students, enabling us to advocate for system-wide change.
EdVestors offers a supportive and flexible work environment with a collaborative team of colleagues. Our values drive our efforts and shape our relationships with each other and our partners.
- Just – We aim to advance racial equity in our organization, schools, and communities, as we continue to learn about and interrogate white supremacy culture and systemic racism. We commit to thoughtfully assessing our role in upholding systems of oppression, to working in community toward mutual accountability, and to remaining optimistic as we pursue equity in education for our students.
- In Community – We care for our colleagues and community. We believe the greatest potential for impact comes from working together and that success flows from listening, learning, and working in community.
- Thoughtful – We are reflective, critical, and responsive. We are sensitive to the needs and aspirations of those we work with and carefully consider the impact of our actions.
- Committed – We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of Boston students. We invest in sustainable practices that create deep, meaningful, and long-lasting impact.
- Optimistic – We believe that an equitable future for our students and ourselves is possible. We bring joy, hope, and a desire to be better to the circumstances that challenge us.
EdVestors seeks a dynamic Development Manager to write grants and manage development operations. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for External Relations, the Manager will help fulfill the department goals of bringing higher visibility to the organization and increasing the diversity of EdVestors’ funding portfolio from institutional and individual funders, while managing the development operations. A successful candidate will be a great project manager with excellent writing and communication skills; a development professional with a system mindset; an experienced grant writer with the ability to multitask and adhere to internal and external deadlines; and will demonstrate passion for bringing resources to fulfill the organization’s mission.
The Development Manager will be responsible for the following key areas:
Grant Writing, Reporting, and Grant Management
- Research, write, and edit foundation and corporate letters of inquiry, grant proposals, grant reports, briefings, and associated documents;
- Cultivate, manage, and steward relationships with program officers of assigned foundations and corporations;
- Manage the calendar of proposal and report submissions, communicating with other departments for needed information, and producing monthly internal reports for stakeholder meetings (staff and board).
- Assist in development goal setting, strategies, and campaigns;
- Ensure that development goals are met adhering to budgets
- Develop a prospect portfolio to optimize fundraising opportunities;
- Working with the development team, ensure smooth functioning of Salesforce database; manage and record all current and prospect institutional funders in Salesforce and develop protocol for reporting/database maintenance;
- Oversee the day to day development systems and coordinate internal operations of the development team, including the Development Coordinator and various project consultants;
- In collaboration with the development and finance teams, generate regular reports for management team and the Board;
- Collaborate with the communication team to manage marketing communications as they relate to development.
Event Planning and Donor Stewardship
- In collaboration with development team members, contribute content and help organize fundraising events
- Implement donor recognition and stewardship activities;
- Research and strategize with the leadership team and Senior VP for External Relations in the cultivation of new institutional/individual funders;
- Contribute content for fundraising meetings and events.
- Experienced grant writer with a successful track record in grant-writing with at least three to five years of prior related experience;
- Some supervisory experience preferred;
- Strong writing and editing skills with a focus on making a case for giving;
- Outstanding organizational skills and system mindset, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to see projects through to completion;
- Strong sense of initiative, with the ability to make decisions about how to manage and organize own workload, juggle multiple assignments, and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of an entrepreneurial, mission-driven, collaborative team;
- Experience in Salesforce preferred;
- Passion for resource generation, education and an interest in EdVestors’ system-change work preferred;
- Deep commitment to equity and diversity with an ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor and positive attitude are essential.
Edvestors offers a generous benefits package. The expected hiring range for this position is $60K-70K.
Cover letter and resume can be directed to Francisco Marriott, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as received.
EdVestors is an equal opportunity employer. At EdVestors, we strive to maintain an inclusive, flexible and diverse work environment, and our team is made stronger by the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives within our staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.