Announcements / Request for Responses - School on the Move Prize Research
Request for Responses - School on the Move Prize Research
EdVestors seeks a research and dissemination partner to conduct and share research on effective practices from the 2023 School on the Move Prize winner (East Boston High School) and two additional finalists (Boston Green Academy and Fenway High School).
Through the School on the Move Prize research, we aim to document and amplify effective practices, insights, and lessons learned from Boston’s most improving schools to drive change across the district. Specifically, we aim to:
- Deepen understanding of the conditions that lead to school improvement, and
- Influence leaders in Boston Public Schools to invest in key strategies that create those conditions.
The research and dissemination partner will work with EdVestors and key members of school teams to design and implement a research plan that will produce informative and actionable findings, with the ultimate goal of broader adoption of strategies that drive better outcomes for students in Boston and beyond. Through prior School on the Move Prize research, we have identified five key practices of effective schools:
- Strong leadership and shared ownership;
- Meaningful teacher collaboration;
- Academic rigor and student support;
- Effective use of data; and
- Family and community engagement
For the current report, we plan to use the five key practices as an overall frame to explore the high school experience in Boston Public Schools, highlighting examples across the three School on the Move finalists. Utilizing national research, document review, and interviews with school leaders, staff, and/or students, the study will identify innovative strategies and key practices the schools put in place in order to facilitate one or more of the five key practices.
We believe the results and recommendations of this report will be a timely addition to the current school improvement discourse, as the district engages in a comprehensive design process for its secondary schools. We are deeply engaged in that work and conversation, and this year’s finalist schools can provide important lessons and insights to the broader improvement and reimagination efforts. We plan to release the report in fall 2024, in coordination with the 2024 School on the Move Prize process.
Scope of Work
We envision the role as a combination of third-party researcher and strategic partner, helping EdVestors and the school teams to document, examine, and share effective practices. The engagement will include the following components:
- Research planning and design: Engage in initial discussion(s) with the EdVestors team to identify goals, internal priorities, and work to date. Based on the context and background, the research and dissemination partner will draft a work plan, detailing a set of research questions to ground the work.
- Desk research: Review and analyze project documents, including but not limited to past efforts to highlight best practices through School on the Move and this year’s application materials.
- Data collection and analysis: Work with the EdVestors and school teams to collect and/or secure access to relevant data. Analyze those data, informed by the research questions.
- Documentation of findings: Prepare a set of preliminary findings and recommendations to share with the EdVestors team. Based on feedback, finalize key findings, recommendations, and lessons learned.
Project Timeline and Budget
The work is anticipated to begin in March 2024 and all school-based research will need to be completed by the beginning of June. The report must be ready for publication by early September 2024. EdVestors will be responsible for having the report designed and printed. The budget for this work is $18,000-$20,000.
Submit a brief (no more than two pages) proposal to Heather Johnson, Vice President, Programs, Strategy, & Impact, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis until Friday, March 1. Please include the following in your response:
- Experience in conducting similar research projects
- A sample report
- Approach for conducting best practice research, including collecting qualitative data in schools
- A basic work plan, including estimated timelines and deliverables
- Contact information for two references with whom you have worked in a similar capacity
Contact Heather Johnson at email@example.com with any inquiries.